What is social distancing?
You may have had a vacation, birthday party or a family reunion planned that had to be canceled recently. There is currently a widespread pandemic of COVID-19, also known as the coronavirus.. Many individuals are practicing social distancing during this time to help prevent the spread of this virus to loved ones who may be more susceptible to the symptoms. Social distancing is an elective practice of ensuring that you are limiting your exposure to other individuals. Studies have shown that staying a minimum of six feet away from another person helps to reduce your chances of contracting the virus in conjunction with good hygiene habits.
Why social distancing is difficult?
Many of us enjoy conversing and spending time with those around us that we care about. However, as a precautionary measure, we find ourselves becoming physically distant – with good reason! Ensuring you are communicating via alternative means with friends and loved ones can help ease the distance. A few options for alternative forms of communication are phone calls, online chatting, texts, and video calls – there are even ways to watch movies online together!
Entertainment while social distancing
There are many things you can do to stay occupied while practicing social distancing:
- Reading – one of the easiest things you can do is lose yourself in a great book. The benefits of reading will only compound the productive entertainment value a great literary piece can provide.
- Binge a show – Now is the perfect time to get caught up on a show you have been wanting to finish or even start!
- Start a blog – Channel your creative insights on a platform that you can share with others! Are you an expert on beauty products, outdoors activities, sports?
- Languages – start learning a new language! This is great for both personal and professional development.
- Puzzles – Crosswords, Sudoku, Jigsaw, etc. Puzzles are a great way to keep your mind active and stimulated.
- Recipes – we might not all be Emeril Lagasse in the kitchen but that shouldn’t stop you from trying out a new recipe for dinner. Finding a new dish using your favorite ingredients can be a great way to pass the time.
- Games – board, card, and video games are an incredibly entertaining past time. You can even play many games remotely with friends and family!
- DIY – another great creative outlet is arts and crafts. you can put time into making and even possibly selling some wares.
It’s always important to try and maintain a positive mental attitude during times ofstress.. Navigating less-than-ideal situations becomes easier when you keep rationality at the forefront. Feel free to share your favorite past times with us in comments!